Thursday, November 3, 2011

Health awareness

Eating gluten free does not provide as much nutrition as gluten products, as most wheat flours are "enriched" or "fortified".  
Be sure to see your doctor regularly, and have your Iron level and other nutrients checked periodically.  
Gluten damage can result in malabsorption of much needed nutrients.
I have been severely anemic for the past several years, and am now fighting to figure out how to get my system to absorb nutrients.  
Even my doctors are stumped.  


I would be interested in hearing some of the comments by your doctors about your Celiac Disease symptoms.  One of my favorites was a doctor who declared that I had a "very narrow life" (I'm not sure how she arrived at that conclusion).
Many have tried to make it a psychological problem (like I enjoy being exhausted and malnourished).  
Always, always request a copy of your records, including the doctor's notes. (It is your right to have copies of every piece of information in your file.)
My prior GI doc, upon completion of an endoscopic diagnosis of Celiac Disease, told me "You must stay on a gluten free diet. See you in 5 years." 
Moral to this: If your doctor says something like this, find another one. So many general GI docs don't know how to treat Celiac Disease, or manage its symptoms; they just know how to perform the endoscopy, take pretty pictures of the stomach and small intestines,take biopsies and give you a diagnosis, and no further assistance.  
If this happens to you, google Celiac Disease Doctors in your area.  
Let me know some of your experiences (please keep them appropriate).
Please don't name doctors at this point, just your experiences.  
And 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home